Insights

Do you have complete control over your parking space?

by
Maarten Stoffels
Share

Parking spaces are usually scarce in big cities and there is also little space available for new car parks or parking areas. Thus, most companies have to deal with limited parking capacities and concrete insights into the mobility behaviour of your employees and visitors are crucial to determine the parking needs at your location. With this valuable data, you can take the first step towards optimising your parking space. Toogethr Parking helps you make targeted decisions for your parking and mobility policy.

Parking capacities will soon be under even greater strain

In most cities, there is literally no more room for spatial planners to create additional parking spaces - politicians and administrators opt for other, more sustainable initiatives to design public space. As a result, parking capacities in cities are still severely strained. Furthermore, a study in the Munich region has shown that commuters after COVID-19 will use the car at least as often, which in turn means that the parking shortage will not be reduced in the short term either. All the more reason for you as a property manager or employer to use your parking spaces even more efficiently and to determine the specific parking needs for your location.

Insights into the mobility behaviour of your employees

In order to be able to make a reliable statement about the utilisation of your parking space as an employer, you need to know how your employees travel to the office. Of course, it is also important to know whether they want to continue working full-time in the office or partly from home - because COVID-19 has ensured that we now see working from home with different eyes. How office days and working from home will be implemented in the future is currently an important topic of discussion in many companies.

It is essential to understand the mobility behaviour of your employees after COVID-19.

According to the aforementioned Toogethr study, 60% of respondents prefer to work in the office. This in turn means that the remaining 40% want to combine office and working from home, probably because there is a number of commuters who live further away preferring to work from home more often. And of those who drive to the office, 71% say they will use the car to do so.

Use the insights gained to determine parking needs

However, in every organisation, mobility behaviour and the need to work in the office or at home will be different. It is therefore important that you, as an employer, gather this information from your employees as it will have a direct impact on the availability of parking spaces after COVID-19. Based on the number of people expected at your location, the current occupancy, the available parking capacity and the expected distribution between bicycles, cars and public transport, you can determine the exact parking needs for your organisation. Of course, the same applies if you manage multiple parking areas and want to determine the parking demand at these locations based on the expected use of transport modes and travel behaviour.

React purposefully to the expected parking space utilisation when we come back to the office.

One result may be that you will soon be short on parking spaces with the expected volume of cars. This could in turn be a reason to encourage your employees to travel to work differently or to promote carpooling among colleagues, for example. But Toogethr Parking can also show you that you still have free capacity in your parking space. Renting out unused parking spaces is then an interesting option to make optimal use of your parking capacities. In this way, Toogethr Parking can help you optimise your mobility and parking policy for every parking situation.

Would you also like to know more about Toogethr Parking and determine your parking requirements? Read here more and download the brochure!